Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sesame-Garlic Greens with Carrots

All I can say is YUM!  I love when I am working from home and can create whatever inspires me for my lunch.  Don't get me wrong I was slightly sad that there was no leftover pizza for me, however, this encouraged me to think outside the bread and cheese box :)

We have a CSA through Red Fire Farm and this time of year the crop yield is higher so we had quite a lot to work with including:

Swiss Chard (one small bunch)
Carrots (two)
Fresh Garlic (one clove)
Sweet Onions (one stalk greens from a large, sweet onion)

also featured in my meal today:

Bulgur Wheat (1 cup, uncooked)
Organic Tempeh (1 cup chopped)
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce (2 Tablespoons approx.)
Toasted Sesame Seeds (2 Tablespoons)
Sesame Oil (1/4-1/2 teaspoon)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 Tablespoon)

For this simple, vegan dish all you do is cook bulgur according to the directions (1 cup grain per 3 cups water).  Chop tempeh and season with soy sauce and let sit while you chop the other veggies.

Rinse and de-stem swiss chard and chop.  Chop large clove fresh garlic, cut and peel and thinly slice the two carrots, and rinse and chop one stalk of green onions.  Toast sesame seeds in toaster oven--watch closely to prevent scorching!

In large pot or skillet, add olive oil over med-high heat.  Add chopped garlic, saute till lightly browned, add carrots, stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes.  Add swiss chard and continue to saute and stir.  Add a tablespoon of water if needed.  Once everything is slightly softened toss in tempeh and continue to stir till heated through.  Lastly add green onions and stir-fry one more minute.  Remove from pot and toss in a bowl with toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil. Serve over cooked bulgur and add more soy sauce if desired.

See how good it looks for yourself!

ALA, 2011 [Looks gorgeous in a Frog Hill Pottery bowl]

ALA, 2011 [Sesame-Garlic Greens with Carrots]

No comments:

Post a Comment